Monday, June 9, 2008

Is Life Fair?

The world isn't fair. Things happen to us over which we have no control and those things do not affect people in equal ways. This is a fact of life.

Why do we seek fairness? Are the people in UG not wanting the co-player to do better than his/her self? Is this Darwinian survival or is this some type of altruism?

And maybe the camaraderie associated with drugs like MDMA arises from the breakdown of our usual sense of separation of 'I vs. not I' causing the user to feel connected to, and in love with others. And thus more giving and altruistic because of the lessening of a sense of competition.

Maybe as we begin to realize how intimately we all are connected across time and space we will all become less self-grubbing and more kind to the people and world around us.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm not sure that everyone could even agree on what the word 'fair' means - although I agree with the implied sentiment that equal treatment for all is fair - except for the basic problem that all are not equal, and so treatment that is good for one is bad for another and figuring out how to get good treatment to everyone seems virtually impossible. Which doesn't mean I don't want to try for it anyway..

I like your blog.. I haven't had time to read more than a few articles, but the ones I've read so far are great..